Rights & Responsibilities
Cost of Services:
BHR services are provided without charge to the individuals who receive the services.
As a person served by BHR you have the right:
- To be informed of your rights in understandable language through verbal and/or written communication.
- To receive prompt evaluation, care, and treatment.
- To be actively involved in treatment decisions.
- To be informed about treatment in clear language and have access to treatment records in sufficient time for decision-making.
- To receive services in the least restrictive environment.
- Right to receive language and/or communication assistance at no cost.
- Right to utilize a family member, friend, or trusted adult to assist with interpreting.
- To receive services in the less restrictive environment.
- To receive services in a clean and safe setting.
- To be the subject of research only with your informed written consent.
- To not be denied services because of race, gender, sexual orientation creed, marital status, national origin, disability, or age.
- To confidentiality of records in accordance with federal and state laws and regulations.
- To be treated with dignity and addressed in a respectful age appropriate manner.
- To be free from verbal, physical and financial abuse, neglect, corporal punishment, humiliation, threats, or exploitation.
- To initiate a complaint about BHR services without fear of reprisals in accord with BHR’s Consumer Complaint Policy (see Policy Number CQI & Compliance 510).
- To access private mental health and /or medical or legal professionals at your own expense.
- To receive BHR’s assistance with referrals to self-help and advocacy group support services.
- In addition to number 15, the right to complain directly to BHR, you have the right to file a complaint with the Department of Mental Health Client Rights Monitor, or the Department of Mental Health Division of Consumer Affairs. See contact information below:
Client Rights Monitor, Office of Consumer Affairs
Department of Mental Health
P.O. Box 687
Jefferson City, MO 65102
In order to provide you with the best possible care, we ask you to:
- Provide us with complete and accurate information
- Notify us promptly if you are unable to attend an urgent appointment if one is scheduled for you.